Friday, July 24, 2015

#1488 foodie Friday: kalua pig

Last Sunday I tried a new recipe for shredded pork called kalua pig. It is a Hawaiian recipe for pulled pork. I think traditionally kalua pig is a whole pig that is buried in the ground, covered with banana leaves and left to cook for many hours. I did not dig a hole in the ground, nor did I cover the portion of pig I had with banana leaves. It still tasted pretty good.

Here's how I did it:

I bought a pork butt roast (which is really the shoulder of the pig) and I put it in my crockpot. I seasoned the pork butt with some salt and pepper, cumin, onion powder and garlic powder. I added about a cup of water and let it roast on low heat for probably nine hours. I took it out of the crockpot and it was falling apart. The bone just slid right out. I  emptied the pot of the water, shredded the meat and returned it to the pot. I added about a teaspoon or so of liquid smoke and a sprinkling of coarse sea salt. I mixed it all up, gave it a taste and declared it delicious. We put it on buns and added a bit of BBQ sauce and had some tasty pulled pork sandwiches. We've also used it for quesadillas and salads this week. I think it will also be quite delightful to chop up a jalapeno, toss the pork in a little green salsa and top it with avocado for some wonderful tacos.

I haven't been cooking much this summer during the week. We scavenge; there's always something to eat but you have to be creative sometimes. This week I was especially lazy because T isn't here. Actually even when he is here he is not always home for dinner anyway.

~~~

Today is July 24. One of my favorite things about living in Utah is that we celebrate two holidays in July: Independence Day on July 4 and Pioneer Day on July 24. I think Pioneer Day is a celebration of the time that Brigham Young saw the Salt Lake Valley and declared, "This is the place." I would say that Pioneer Day is an even bigger event here than Independence Day. There is a giant parade downtown with floats from nearly every LDS stake in the valley (and I think there are about a jillion). People camp out overnight downtown to get a good viewing spot for the parade. I'm not really a parade watcher; I've actually never seen the Pioneer Day parade although it is televised. People have picnics and at night there are fireworks all over the place. I enjoy having an extra day off in July. I especially love it when the 24th is on a Friday or Monday like it is this year. Three day weekend!

There was a funny thing on my Facebook feed today from a local new channel. It seems like some non-LDS folks celebrate Pie & Beer Day on July 24. Bakeries and breweries from around the town offer up deals on pie and beer, I guess. Might have to venture out to give that a try next year! :)

I have been exceptionally lazy today. I did attempt to go to the gym this morning. There were three classes scheduled today and I was going to go to the first class which was spinning at 7am. At least I thought it was at 7. When I got there, I was told the class started at 8, so I came home and went back to bed. When I woke up again, I was hungry so MT and I had breakfast burritos. He went to work at the fixer upper and I gave myself a pedicure and watched a movie. (The Skeleton Twins - very dark and not very funny even though Kristin Wiig and Bill Hader were the stars.) By 5pm I had only walked about 3,800 steps according to my FitBit. Lazy, lazy, lazy. I finished a book (I'll write about it on the Reading Page tomorrow probably) and tonight MT and I watched another movie (We Bought A Zoo, one of MT's favorites.)

Now it's 11 and it's past time for bed.

No comments: