Wednesday, July 29, 2015

#1493 desert island

On my way home from work today I was listening to The Big Show with Gordon Monson and Spence Checketts on 1280 The Zone. It's a local sports talk radio show, but they were taking a break from talking about sports to play a game they call "Desert Island". The premise is that you are going to a deserted island and you can take one book, one movie, one TV show and one artist's music and that will be all you have for entertainment until you are rescued or whatever. I thought this sounded like a fun exercise, and I'd like to tell you what I would take to a deserted island.

TV Show: It was between Seinfeld and Friends and I've decided on Seinfeld. I really loved Friends, but Seinfeld is a little more snarky and has some clever lines and iconic catch-phrases like "double dipping", "sponge-worthy", "No soup for you!", and "Newman".  Plus it was on for a lot of years (as was Friends), so I would  have lots to watch.

Music: This might surprise you, but I think I would take the Beatles catalog. Yes, I really love The Police and Sting, but I know all those songs already and I could learn a lot from the Beatles. You just can't go wrong with them.

Movie: I thought choosing a movie would be tough, but when I thought of this movie, I knew it was the right answer for me. Dirty Dancing.

Book: Presumably if I was on a deserted island and there was power for a DVD player and an iPod or whatever, I could just take my Nook and load all the Harry Potter books on it. But that was not the intent of the game, so I will choose one book. This was the hardest for me. It was between Little Women and Pride and Prejudice. Gotta go with Jane Austen. I can read about Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy a lot.

Yeah, I think I could be content with those choices if I were on a deserted island. What would you choose?

1 comment:

Kteach said...

You know how hard is for me to decide, but I may go along with Dirty Dancing, one of the few movies I've seen more than once. And also Friends. No idea about book or music, I need to think it out.