Monday, December 28, 2015

#1575 simple pleasure (or is it joy?) Monday

About a week or two ago when I was scrolling through Facebook, I passed an article about the difference between pleasure and joy. I didn't take the time to read the story, but the concept has been on my mind since I saw the headline.

I looked up the definitions of pleasure and joy.

Pleasure - a feeling of happy satisfaction and enjoyment

Joy - a feeling of great pleasure and happiness

Those two definitions sound pretty much the same, don't they?

Then, as I was cruising around the interwebs looking for an answer to my question, I saw this quote from Eckhart Tolle:


This definition makes more sense to me, but then I wondered who the heck was Eckhart Tolle? I would say he's a philosopher, based on what I read on Wikipedia and from Herr Tolle's website.

Based on Tolle's definition, I think I'm using the simple pleasure Monday phraseology correctly. :)

Whew. Glad I got that cleared up, at least in my own mind. I've always been interested in pleasure and joy. I think it's important to have both in your life. Sometimes finding joy is hard, at least for me. I feel like I get stuck in a rut and it's just the same old thing all the time. I have to remind myself to keep my eyes and heart open to find my joy.

Pleasure, though, seems to be a lot easier to find. Today my simple pleasure also brought me joy and peace. When I got home from the grocery store, I was feeling a little tired, so I laid down on my bed to read and relax. My dog, Osi, jumped up on the bed with me, so I put my feet on her soft, velvety fur. She was fine with that for a minute, but then she sat up and looked at me with her soulful doggie eyes and I knew that she wanted to snuggle. I rolled onto my side and she tucked her body into a ball and snuggled into me. She closed her eyes and started snoring a little. She was just so peaceful and sweet and warm and soft. I laid there and petted her and got into the rhythm of her breathing. It was all good until I started to drift off to sleep too. I couldn't have that! I have a hard enough time sleeping at night without napping during the day. So I took a selfie:






1 comment:

Pappy1 said...

Such a comfort to have a living breathing trust so much.