Thursday, September 29, 2016

#1772 the work trip comes to an early end

Today was kind of like a day in three parts.

This morning I was distracted, trying to take care of some personal things that included making a few phone calls. Since I was in a conference room with no private space, I had to make the calls out in my rental car. It worked out.

This afternoon, the Blue Angels were flying directly over the office. They are going to be performing at the air show here in Sacramento on Saturday and the airfield where the show will be is right behind the plant. I was mightily distracted by the jets. I love the sound they make. During every break I was out watching them fly right over the plant area. They were flying so low you could see the numbers on their tails. Awesome!

The best part of the day was when I was done watching the Blue Angels during the afternoon break, I was excused from the rest of the meeting and I don't have to go back tomorrow! Bonus and unexpected! What makes it extra fun is that my sister is here, so we get to hang out a little bit.

Tonight, as we had already planned, we drove to Dixon to see our aunt and uncle. Mary and Dewey are my dad's brother and sister. Neither of them have ever been married. They grew up in the house in Dixon. Mary has always lived there; Dewey lived in Idaho near us until my grandpa passed away, then he moved home to live with his mom and his sister.

I have a lot of good memories of the old house. Not a lot has changed to the structure of the house itself, but the yard is a lot different than it was when I was a kid. It was nice to wander around the place with my aunt, uncle and sister. I was glad we went out and spent a little time with them. We don't see them very often and it was good to see them in their own environment. Usually we see them at my mom and dad's house.

Before we left town, we stopped by the cemetery to see our grandparents' graves. I have many happy memories of spending summers with my grandparents and my aunt Mary. I loved running around the house and the yard and over in my grandpa's orchard. I found out much later it wasn't actually his orchard, but he took care of it.  I'm pretty sure it was the first time I'd visited their graves since the graves were new.

Lizzie and I came back to Rancho Cordova and had dinner at a Mexican place near the hotel called Casa Ramos. The place was all decked out for Day of the Dead. The food wasn't too bad - not great, but good enough and plentiful.

Tomorrow Lizzie and I are going to the town of Locke. Our parent's used to take us there for a steak at Al's Place. I can't wait to go back and see if it lives up to my memories!

1 comment:

Kteach said...

Love the steak at Locke with the peanut butter and apricot or peach jelly. What a quaint little town. Only town in the US build by the Chinese for the Chinese...long time ago.