Friday, March 17, 2017

#1839 foodie Friday: corned beef

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!

In the office where I work, there is an engineer from Butte, MT who, for the past few years, has cooked corned beef and cabbage for lunch for the staff on St. Patrick's Day. I mention that he is from Butte because the city has a history with Irish miners who settled there and March 17 is a big day of celebration. It is very nice of him to cook the corned beef, which is incredibly delicious. I look forward to it every year.

I attempted to cook corned beef at home one year. It was fine, but not as delicious as what Griff makes. Since MT is not clamoring for corned beef and cabbage in the middle of March here at home, I don't worry about making it anymore and I just satisfy myself with having it once a year at work.

My mom makes tacos that are a mix of canned corned beef and canned roast beef. She mixes the meats together, then rolls up the mixture in corn tortillas which she then fries in hot oil. (They are more like taquitos  at that point.) The meats tend to seep out a bit from the shell and spatter her with droplets of hot oil, which isn't very pleasant. No serious injury has been caused but if you think about it, pouring hot oil on your enemies was a way of protecting the castle back in the olden days. Nobody likes to be hit with hot oil.

I have never tried to make the amazingly delicious corned beef/roast beef tacos before because frankly, I'm scared of hot oil spatters. But I really miss the taste of the tacos so I've been thinking about how I might be able to bake them. Today when I was eating corned beef straight up with horseradish, I thought more about the taquitos and I think I'm going to make some this weekend! I will fry some and bake some and see what I think. Results to be reported next week.

Last week I said I was going to try to get out of my food rut and make something new and interesting. I didn't make anything new and interesting, though. Of the five workdays this week, I cooked three times, we had leftovers once and tonight was fend-for-yourself. I had a beer and some toast. MT had soup. We live a simple life, friends.

Have a great weekend! Talk to you tomorrow :)

No comments: