Saturday, April 8, 2017

#1849 Saturday with Sandy: groceries and the Garden

Before I start with today's post, a quick reply to the comments from the last post:

Yes, our house is the one on the left in the news story.

Yes, I think homeowner's insurance will cover it, but our agent will first contact the car owner's insurance company. That's what happened with the fence claim at the first fixer upper.

Now on to today's story...

The morning was rainy and kind of cold. I went to WW. I was up a whole pound and I totally deserved it. I'm surprised it wasn't a bigger gain. I really went off the rails last week. More on that in Wednesday's post. After the meeting I went to Starbucks for a chai latte for me and a frappucino for T, then I read and had a bite of breakfast.

By then, the sun came out so I decided to go grocery shopping. I hadn't done any real shopping for a couple of weeks, so our fridge and cupboards were bare. Undoubtedly, the bare cupboards and fridge were a factor in my weight gain because I had to eat out for lunch every day last week. I went to Costco to get some meat. The last time I went to Costco was before the surgery, so it has been a few months. I like to buy meat at Costco because the quality is good and the price is good, too. I also went to our regular grocery store and stocked up on all the stuff we need and like. T and MT were both very pleased to see our supplies restocked.

I also took a few minutes to stop at the library where I picked up a couple of books. I have been a reading fool lately!

After I put all the groceries away and read for a few minutes, I decided to head up to Red Butte Garden for a quick walk. One of the departments that I volunteer for had my packet ready for me at the front desk, so I wanted to pick that up, too. The plants are blooming, so it's time to start recording blooms! I didn't do it today because by the time I got up there, it was very overcast, there was some thunder and occasional lightning flashes. I got an umbrella from the visitor's center and walked around the garden. In the 30 minutes or so that I walked around, the temperature dropped by about ten degrees, the wind started blowing and the rain was sprinkling a little. As I drove home down into the valley, the sprinkles turned to full-on rain. I felt happy that I had got in a little fresh air and a stretch of the legs through the garden. The daffodils are blooming over the whole garden. The flowering trees are starting to flower. The serviceberry trees are starting to bloom and create a beautiful white flowery tunnel over the path. I don't think there is ever a bad time to go to the garden.

Last year everything there was new to me. This year it is nice to recognize some of my favorite trees and plants. It feels familiar yet still special.

Tonight the rain turned into a light snow or a chunky rain. There is a skiff of snow on the lawn. I was happy to put on some cozy sweats and snuggle up with a soft blanket and watch the Jazz game. I came to write during halftime, but they are playing again, so I'm done here. And I really am done, so have a great rest of the weekend!

No comments: