Saturday, May 6, 2017

#1866 Saturday with Sandy

It was very warm here yesterday and I haven't turned on my air conditioner yet, so it was unpleasantly warm in my room last night. I didn't sleep well because of the temperature. I woke up around 4:30 and didn't fall back to sleep for nearly an hour. I had every intention of going to spin class at 7AM, but there was no way I was waking up at 6:30 to go to the gym. I was finally sleeping hard. Instead I walked to WW (about two miles).

WW was a win - down one pound! Only about four more to go until Onederland!

T picked me up from the meeting and we got breakfast from Kneaders to go (French toast) and some Starbucks. Breakfast filled me up and I was able to make it through until dinnertime without snacking. The only thing that was missing was protein, but I guess I got a little from the milk in my chai latte.

Today was the first day of docent volunteering at Red Butte Garden. It's such a great gig! I sit in the beautiful Courtyard Garden with a fountain splashing gently nearby, the scents of the garden wafting through the air, a light breeze cooling my skin as sunlight sparkles through the leaves of the lace bark elm trees. I read, I talk to people, I offer to take photos of the guests if they look like that's what they want. (They always say yes.)

Sometimes I have pretty interesting conversations with people. I had one today with a woman who was maybe also a volunteer. She was taking a class and during a break she came over to me and said she noticed that I had had a knee replacement. (I was wearing a skirt and my scar was visible.) She asked me how the surgery and recovery were so we talked about the process. I didn't sugar-coat it. I straight up told her the first two weeks are pretty awful, but after that it gets better and better until you're all done with physical therapy and you don't have pain and you can sleep through the night and you don't limp and the worst thing about it is the six inch scar on your knee. She thanked me for my candor and went back to class. Nice lady.

Later I was walking through the garden and a young couple came up to me to tell me about the big garter snake they had just seen. A blue bird was squawking at the snake and trying to peck it's head. I guess the bird's nest must have been close by. I heard the bird making a bunch of noise and I saw a small group of people looking at the ground. I figured it was a snake. Glad it wasn't a rattler.

By the time I got down to the ponds, it started to sprinkle just a little. The rain didn't last long, but it made everything smell extra nice.

On my way home I decided to stop by the library. I picked up the book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. You know it's set in Savannah, Georgia. I've read it before, probably 20 years ago or so. I wanted to read it before my trip to Savannah (in 11 days!!).

Tonight I watched my Jazz lose again to the Golden State Warriors. The Jazz played really well and even had the lead for a little while. They couldn't hold on to it, though. The Warriors are just very, very good.

Now I'm about ready to call it a day. In the past couple of days I have finished two books, so that means there are two new books to start reading.

Today was a good day.


~~~~~~




I finished these two books. Check out the 2017 Reading page for "reviews".

1 comment:

Kteach said...

Very nice day :)