Sunday, June 25, 2017

#1896 three things: the 100 page rule, gym clothes and my new planner



1. The 100 page rule. I like to read and I will read just about anything but some books are more to my taste than others. Many years ago, I asked MT if he always finished a book. He said that he had a 100 page rule: if the book hadn't drawn him in by page 100, he would give up on it. I thought that was sound advice and I followed it for a long time. Lately, though, I have forgotten the 100 page rule and I suffered through a couple of books that I should have abandoned. Interestingly, while I was reading the latest John Grisham book, Camino Island, two of the characters were having the exact conversation that MT and I had. One of the characters actually had a 50 page rule and justified it like this:

"...I've never understood people who grind through a book they don't really like, determined to finish it for some unknown reason...[she] would toss a book after the first chapter, then pick it up and grumble and growl for four hundred pages until the bitter end..."

Oh my gosh! I grumbled and growled through Truly Madly Guilty and then Sweetbitter knowing I didn't like them after 100 pages, but finishing them anyway, I am heeding John Grisham and MT's advice. The 100 page rule is in effect FOREVER!

2. Gym clothes. I have purchased a four week pass to take classes at the gym and today I updated my gym clothes wardrobe. My clothes were outdated and sort of sloppy-looking and it was a bad look. Now I will have clothes more like the other ladies wear. It's more fun to have cute gym clothes! 

3. My new planner. It's the last week of June! I started using the the new adorable Erin Condren planner that Lizzie got me for my birthday. I feel like I've had the planner forever and have just been waiting for June 26 to come along so I can start using it. I have written in the future appointments and events that I know about, like my dentist appointment and haircut and vacations. This is going to sound terribly nerdy, but I even bought a couple of new pens to go with the planner. (heehee) Honestly it is such a totally simple pleasure for me. It doesn't hurt anyone and it gives me joy. There is no harm in that at all!

~~~~~~



Check out the 2107 Reading List page for my thoughts on these two books that I read. 

No comments: