Monday, June 26, 2017

#1897 simple pleasure Monday: nail polish

I may have written about this before, but I have kind of a thing for nail polish. When I see the Essie or OPI or even Sally Hansen displays in the store, I get a warm fuzzy feeling inside. I think the colors and the little bottles are pretty. It's easy for me not to indulge, most of the time, because Essie, my favorite brand, is on the expensive side and I can usually talk myself out of the impulsive purchase. In fact, I have told myself that buying a new bottle of nail polish can be a reward for every five pounds I lose.

I haven't rewarded myself for awhile. :(

In my opinion, there is a definite difference between colors that go on toes and colors that go on fingers. On my fingers, I prefer neutral tones with a tendency toward dark colors in the fall and winter months. I like to keep my fingernails very short and I like the look of really dark colors on very short nails. On my toes, I like bright, vibrant colors like reds and pinks and oranges and the occasional purple, as long as it is a jewel tone. Never shall the colors change digits. In other words, I couldn't imagine using a toe color on my fingers or vice versa.

One time I bought a new Essie polish called Sunday Funday. (Another reason I like Essie and OPI: they have cute names!) I thought it would be mellow enough for my fingers, but the minute I put it on, I knew it was a toe color through and through. I think I wore it for a day before I had to take it off my fingers because it just wasn't right to me.

I almost always have my toenails painted. In flip flop season, the toes look so cute with when the nails are painted. In the winter my toes are like a little gift to myself because when I take off my socks at the end of the day, there are my cute toes all polished just for me.

I can paint them myself but I really love to have a pedicure. I also enjoy getting a manicure. If I had lots of disposable income I'd be getting mani/pedis on the regular. As it is, I schedule a manicure when my cuticles start trying to take over the nail beds, so every couple of months or so. Pedicures are a must prior to going on vacation and at the start and end of flip flop season.

Oops...I only meant to write about my love for nail polish, but it just makes sense to talk about the nails the polish goes on! It's a simple pleasure, but I have passion around it, I guess. :)

No comments: