Tuesday, June 27, 2017

#1898 travel Tuesday: Charleston

Charleston, South Carolina is only a couple of hours away from Savannah by car. Lizzie and I went back and forth about going to Charleston, but in the end, we decided we couldn't pass it up. I hadn't done very much research about Charleston. I had a few pins on Pinterest, so I knew that we wanted to see the historic district, but I didn't/don't know too much of the history of this charming southern city. We didn't plan our day there very well either. We got there around noon and should have looked for a place to have some lunch and then walked around. That's not how it happened. I pulled up this map on Pinterest and we started walking. By the time we were done, it was around 4:00 and many of the restaurants were closed as they prepared for dinner. We ended up buying some little biscuits and then driving back to Savannah for dinner. Like I said, we didn't plan our day very well. But we did see nearly all of the historic district. I can't give many details, so I'll just show you some photos.

This is the map I had on my phone. It's from Charleston Magazine, I think. I'm glad we had it at least. It did take us to the cool cemetery I wrote about a couple of days ago.


This first photo is Philadelphia Alley. There are seven or eight little alleys through the historic district. Some are prettier than others. This particular one was very cute.


Most of the photos I took are of houses. I liked the different types of architecture and the colors. You'll see plenty of doors and windows, too.






This pretty gate is how we got to the wild cemetery at the Unitarian Church. So charming!


A few more houses!




Not all of Charleston's streets are cobbles, but this on is. Isn't it pretty? Cobblestones are not much fun to drive on and you want to be wearing flat shoes when you walk on them.


This next photo is of Rainbow Row. All the houses are painted different pastel colors. I tried to take a nice photo of it, but this was about the best I could do. There are quite a few houses on Rainbow Row. I recommend Googling it.


At  Waterfront Park is the famous Pineapple Fountain. I'm not sure why it's famous, but it is a must-see in Charleston. Just behind the fountain, out in the middle of the water is Fort Sumter which is a famous Civil War site. I couldn't get a good photo of Fort Sumter. From where we were standing, it looked very brown and kind of small. Maybe someday I'll go back to Charleston and take the ferry out to the fort for a tour.

The next photo is Talmadge Memorial Bridge. It crosses the Savannah River and takes you right over to South Carolina, or from South Carolina into Savannah if you're coming south. It's a very pretty bridge.


I enjoyed our day in Charleston. Although I wandered all around the historic district, I don't feel like I know much about the city at all. I wish I'd had a walking tour book like the one we had in Savannah. I would like to go back to Charleston and explore a little more, maybe. All in all, though, I'm glad we stayed in Savannah and just went to Charleston for the day. Both cities are lovely - at least the historic districts that we saw!

No comments: