Thursday, June 29, 2017

#1900 throwback Thursday: family vacation in Tikal



I can't believe it's been five years since our trip to Belize! We went in June 2012 and it was probably our best family vacation. We broke the trip up into two parts. We stayed for three nights out in the jungle at kind of an eco-resort, then we spent a week on Ambergris Caye, which is a little island not far from Belize City.

During the first part of our stay, we took a day and crossed the border into Guatemala and visited the ancient Maya city of Tikal. Speaking for myself, I know it is a day I will never forget. I think the boys agree. It was just the three of us with a guide who was so knowledgeable, friendly and wonderful that being with him added something extra special to the day.

T was 14 during this trip. He smiled so much. He and I went to some other Mayan ruins and we really enjoyed climbing up the temples that we were allowed to climb and listening to the history of the places. When we were on Ambergris Caye, we rented a golf cart and I let him drive it (although I got in trouble for it) and it was fun and easy and good.

MT had a blast, too. While T and I were exploring the Mayan ruins, MT was off trekking through the jungle to see a Mayan sacrificial site in a cave. To this day he talks about the experience and how great it was. On Ambergris Caye, MT went SCUBA diving and snorkeling every day.

The food was wonderful. The people were friendly. The weather was not great (lots of rain) but I wouldn't have had it any other way. I've often thought about going back to Belize, but I know it wouldn't be the same. But for those 10 or 12 days in 2012, everything was right and good.

The photo above was taken in the main square of Tikal. T is just starting to get taller than me. I have both of my original knees in this pic. I would get my right knee joint replaced in August of 2012, so just a couple of months after the trip. MT...he looks just the same.

Such great memories!

1 comment:

Kteach said...

You all look good :)