Wednesday, November 22, 2017

#1967 Thanksgiving Eve matinee: Three Billboards



This afternoon MT and I went to a matinee that he chose - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. The only thing I knew about the movie was that Frances McDormand is in it. Frances McDormand is awesome, so I figured I'd give it a go, even though the movie also stars Woody Harrelson. I have disliked Woody for quite awhile.

How do I explain this movie? Plot in a nutshell: Mildred's (McDormand) daughter was murdered and the police department, of which Willoughby (Harrelson) is the chief, has not made any arrests in the case. Mildred rents out three billboards on the outskirts of town that say how her daughter was killed and asks why no arrests have been made, directly questioning the chief. The writing is on point and the acting is phenomenal from McDormand, to Sam Rockwell (a police officer) and yes, even Woody. He was really good.

An aside...somewhere over the past few years I have actually come to not dislike Woody. I think it was during Friends with Benefits. He was also good in Zombieland and in all the Hunger Games movies. So maybe I'm okay with him now.

There is a lot of really extremely foul language in this movie. There are some very funny lines and there are some seriously cringe-worthy moments as well. It is one of the movies that once you've seen it, you don't need to see it again. At one point I looked over at MT and whispered that there was no way the film could have a good or happy ending. It was pretty grim and depressing at times.

I can't say that I loved the movie, but I certainly haven't stopped thinking about since I left the theater. I wouldn't be surprised to see McDormand's name show up on award nominee lists at the first of the year. If you're ready for something original and without boundaries, give Three Billboards a try.


1 comment:

Lizzie said...

I do want to see it!