Friday, March 23, 2018

#2018 Friday flashback: worms

It rained at my house overnight. This morning when I went outside to get in my car, there were worms all over the sidewalk. Why do the worms go to the sidewalk? The grass is their home!





Worms are important little invertebrates that increase air and water that can get into the soil. Also, their poop is amazing fertilizer, although it takes a lot of worm poop to fertilize anything, as you can imagine. (I only know this because MT's cousin once had a worm poop business operation. She sold worm poop like that shit was gold.)

Cartoon worms can be pretty cute...



...but real-life worms are not cute at all...


Seeing all the worms on the sidewalk made me remember an unpleasant experience I had in third or fourth grade. When I was a kid I walked to school. There were a couple of routes to get to my school. The long way was on paved roads through neighborhoods, but I had to walk for about a block on a pretty busy road. The other way was through a big empty dirt field and then about a block through a neighborhood.

One spring day, after a drenching rain, I was walking through the dirt field when a couple of boys caught up with me and put a worm down my back. I screamed and cried and wiggled all over to get the worm off me. Keep in mind that it was early spring in southeast Idaho, so I had on a coat and probably a couple of layers of clothing. I was traumatized and horrified and I've never really gotten over my dislike for worms. They are fine if I can't see them, but when they are sitting out there on the sidewalk or on a dirt path, just no.

The boy who put the worm down my back would grow up to be the kid who lit the firecracker that burned off my hair in high school, thus making me dislike fireworks. That kid, whose name might have been Tim, was a menace. You may be thinking, "Oh Sandy! He probably liked you! Boys always do stupid things at that age to girls they like." You would be completely wrong. This dude was a juvenile delinquent and I just happened to be his easy target on two separate occasions many years apart.

That's my unpleasant trip down memory lane tonight. Have a great weekend, y'all. Do something fun! Be safe!

No comments: