Wednesday, November 14, 2018

#2124 the rabbit hole

This may sound strange, but I really like my deodorant. It's a brand I've never tried before, Tom's, and the scent is coconut lavender.


I still have a lot of it left, but I was already feeling sad that when I do finish it, I won't be able to get it again. Isn't it a thing that you are supposed to change deodorants every time? Is it? I decided I should GTS (Google That Shit) to find out if this is sound advice or an urban myth.

What I found out boils down to this: antiperspirants have aluminum chloride that blocks your sweat glands which causes you not to sweat. Your glands can get all blocked up and that's what makes it so your BO stick (that's what I sometimes call deodorant/antiperspirant) doesn't work as well. Deodorant makes it so your sweat doesn't smell as bad, although it's not actually sweat that is smelly. It is the bacteria in your armpit that is stinky.

What I learned next is that you can detoxify your armpits to clear the glands. On Pinterest you can find lots and lots of DIY armpit detox stuff. One that I looked at was a paste of apple cider vinegar and bentonite clay. I was thinking "What the hell is bentonite clay and where would I find that?"

The answer to the last part of that question, of course, is Amazon.com.


That's kind of a lot of bentonite clay. My next thought was "What else can I do with this clay?" I would hate to detox my armpits a few times, then have my jar of clay get all hardened or whatever and I can't use it anymore. As it happens, there are lots of things you can do with bentonite clay including eat or drink it (in tiny quantities) to cleanse all of your insides. People are writing about brushing their teeth with it, gargling with it, and drinking it in their water. Mostly the articles and blogs I read talk about how great it is for the skin. That same bentonite clay/apple cider vinegar paste you put on your armpits can be put on your face for a mask. 

I have not ordered the jar of bentonite clay. Apparently I can also get it at Target. I'm not exactly sure what section it would be in though. I've never seen it, but I've never looked for it either. I've never even heard of it before today.

In general, I don't think I am stinky. I do smell yucky after I finish a workout because I am sweaty and I am wearing unnatural fibers (spandex) that is a wicking fabric so the bacteria gets trapped on the shirts and pants. Remember how I said bacteria is the stinky part? There you go.

I also learned that it's better to put antiperspirant on at night. I took a shower tonight when I came home from the gym. Using my newfound knowledge, I swiped on my lovely Tom's coconut lavender antiperspirant/deodorant.  The article said you don't have to reapply it in the morning and it will even stay on after your morning shower.

It's kind of amazing how one little thought that popped into my head lead to all this other new info that I hadn't ever heard about.  What did we ever do without the internet? Or is this a case of a little information can be a dangerous thing?

I don't know if I am done thoroughly checking into this fascinating topic.


1 comment:

Lizzie said...

I had read/heard that about antiperspirants a few years ago so I don't use them. I only use deodorant. I love Tom's. Right now I use an Arm & Hammer deodorant that I like quite a lot.