Friday, April 26, 2019

#2193 food Friday: chicken and rice

It occurred to me the other day that pretty much every culture has a chicken and rice recipe. As I was looking at photos of chicken and rice dishes from around the world, they all kind of look the same because, well, chicken and rice, but every dish has spices and seasonings that are specific to the homeland.

Look at these photos I found of chicken and rice from around the world. Makes me hungry.I have included links for the recipes. I haven't tried any of the recipes - I was just looking for food pics and want to credit the source. I am also not saying that any of these dishes are authentic, necessarily. They just popped up when I put in the country and "chicken and rice" in Google.

Indian
 I think this chicken biryani dish looks quite yummy. Find the recipe here.

Spanish
Paellla is dear to my heart. I especially like it with chicken because I'm not much into seafood. This one seems a bit heavy on the peas, but it still looks good. Click here for the recipe.

Japanese
I'm not sure how I feel about this recipe. The egg looks good but not cooked enough (or at all maybe).
French
When I think of chicken cooked in a French way, I think of coq au vin. I'm not sure if it is typically eaten with rice, but this recipe says you could.

Mexican
Taco seasoning and cilantro makes this dish Mexican, I guess. Click here to check it out.

Greek
There are lemons, so it has to be Greek, am I right?  Yep. Click here.
American
This recipe calls for cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup. An American staple.

Puerto Rico
I think this dish looks pretty good. The recipe even has a couple of seasonings I've never even heard of.


Thai
When we were in Thailand I ate quite a bit of chicken with rice. Putting peanuts on it was definitely a a thing. A delicious thing (unless you're allergic to peanuts, of course.) Click here.

Chinese
Again, not sure how authentic it is, but this crispy sesame chicken looks delicious.

Italian
A one-pot chicken and rice recipe with Italian flavors? Yum! Click here.

African
I heard a recipe for Jollof rice on NPR the other day and I've been thinking of it ever since. I'd like to try this recipe sometime. (This isn't the recipe I heard on NPR, but it sounds good!)

Okay, so I might have gone a little overboard with my examples, but it was fun. Do you know any good chicken and rice recipes or have you tried any of these (besides paella)? Let me know!

No comments: