Thursday, December 5, 2019

#2286 fourth year is complete

Tonight MT and I went to the Red Butte Garden Volunteer Appreciation Reception. I completed my fourth year of volunteering with the most hours I've ever had, 233, which includes travel time. I think they give me an hour per shift that I work for travel.

In December the garden staff puts on a reception for all the volunteers. The first year I volunteered, the reception was at the Garden itself in the Orangerie. It was squishy in there. I think at that time there were around 300 volunteers. The next couple of years the reception was held at the Utah Museum of Fine Arts which was cool because we could walk through the exhibits. This year it was held at the Marriott Hotel near the Garden. The space was good, but the catering was not good. They ran out of food. There are now around 475 volunteers! Good thing MT and I had dinner before we went up there! Fortunately the open bar did not run out of beer or wine, so all was well. :D

Throughout the summer I write about time I spend at Red Butte. I feel so fortunate to be able to go there and "work". Is it really work to sit in the courtyard for a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon and chat with people from all over the world? Is it really work to go to concerts once or twice a week? (I mean, yeah, I usually pick up garbage at the end of the night, but still.) Is it really work to walk through the Children's Garden looking at what plants are blooming? It's all pretty great.

The Garden even gives me stuff for my "work". This year I got a t-shirt, a plant, a membership, and another membership to give to a friend. I got a couple of guest passes to give to people. In addition, I will receive a pair of VIP concert tickets for next season. AND I get to go up there whenever I want to just walk around and enjoy the place. #blessed

Then there is this nice reception that I get to go to every year where various staff thank us for the hours we give. I was able to see some folks that I have come to know over the past few years and it makes me feel like less of a hermit.

The decision to apply to be a volunteer at Red Butte Garden was one of the best decisions I've made in the past few years. I am grateful for the opportunity. I truly love that place.

Here are a few photos from tonight:

233 hours!

me and my mister

this year's plant

the plant from my first year!

1 comment:

josefa wann said...

I remember well when i went with you a couple of years ago, I enjoyed it and looking at the art, and there was plenty of yummy food :) I'm proud of you.